Pipeline Inspection and Monitoring Services
Safeguarding your pipeline is critical to maintaining safe operations along your right-of-way. Bolin’s One-Call Activity Monitor (OCAM) program is specially designed to help protect your pipeline from damage, intrusion and vandalism. Whether you’re interested in damage prevention, pipeline inspections, pipeline monitoring, third-party excavation inspection, or pipeline locating, Bolin’s One-Call Activity Monitors can help.
What are One-Call Activity Monitors?
One-Call Activity Monitors are pipeline personnel trained to monitor, inspect, and follow up on third-party excavators performing work in or near the pipeline right-of-way. Bolin One-Call Activity Monitors are trained to work alongside and assist your One-Call technicians to safeguard your pipeline and facilities.
Why is pipeline monitoring important?
- 90% of excavation-related accidents occur along pipeline rights-of-way where they may impact public safety. Even when third-party contractors place a One-Call, they sometimes deviate from their plans. Bolin One-Call Activity Monitors help to protect:
- the excavator
- the homeowner
- the public
- the environment
- the pipeline
- Farming activities account for nearly 75% of all excavation-related damages to liquid pipelines. These activities include:
- drain tile installation
- deep tilling
- digging a pond
- installing fence posts
- digging wells or septic systems
Having a trusted pipeline monitoring program in place can help prevent this type of damage.
How does Bolin perform pipeline monitoring?
Bolin One-Call Activity Monitors work directly with your One-Call technicians to assure the following activities are being conducted in order to safeguard your pipeline:
- Perform continuous, periodic, or drive-by pipeline monitoring as assigned by your One-Call technician
- Contact the excavator via phone call or in person
- Understand the timing and scope of the excavation activity
- Ensure company guidelines are adhered to
- Conduct public awareness hand-outs and information
- Ensure excavator has an updated One-Call ticket
- Ensure approved surface crossings are used
- Document all observed and conducted activities
- Refresh temporary pipeline markings
- Install permanent line markers
- Weed trim roadsides
- Perform daily reports of each job-site visit using client-provided documentation or Bolin-provided Daily Reports
- Assist in any project closing documentation
The procedures of the Bolin One-Call Activity Monitor conform to the American Petroleum Institute (API) Recommended Practice 1166 (Excavation Monitoring and Observation).
Pipeline and Hazardous Materials Safety Administration (PHMSA) Audit Readiness
Bolin One-Call Activity Monitors can assist you in being PHMSA Audit ready by:
- Weed trimming roadsides
- Weed trimming block valves
- Weed trimming rectifiers
- Repairing and replacing damaged line markers
- Repairing and replacing damaged aerial markers
- Inspecting Do Not Anchor or Dredge river signs
- Painting of vent pipes
- Re-stickering roadside markers
- Inspecting block valves and stations for proper signage
Additional Pipeline Inspection and Monitoring Services
Bolin One-Call Activity Monitors perform other tasks when not actively monitoring third-party excavators:
- Patrol the pipeline searching for excavation activities and encroachments
- Visually inspect waterway crossings and reporting:
- log jams
- exposed pipe
- missing signage
- Inspect – or assist in inspecting – pipeline spans and exposures
- Perform roadside weed trimming
- Replace broken or missing pipeline markers
How do I set up a One-Call Activity Monitor program with Bolin?
Call or email us today to begin your Bolin OCAM program:
Bolin will work with you to establish an OCAM program that meets your pipeline inspection and monitoring needs. We can assign One-Call Activity Monitors from our home location, or hire and train locally to your area.
OQ Certified Monitors
Bolin One-Call Activity Monitors are Operator Qualification (OQ) Trained using National Center for Construction Education and Research (NCCER) curriculum for:
- Abnormal Operating Conditions Field and Gas (AOCFG)
- Inspect belowground coatings
- Install permanent and temporary line markers
- Inspect surface conditions of the right-of-way
- Locate Pipeline – Pipeline Locating